See your Wyoming health insurance coverage options.
Find individual and family plans, small-group, short-term or Medicare plans through licensed agency partners.
Wyoming Health Insurance Consumer Guide
We created this guide to help you understand the health coverage options and possible financial assistance available to you and your family in Wyoming.
Wyoming uses the federally run health enrollment platform, HealthCare.gov, for enrollment in ACA Marketplace plans. The Marketplace provides access to health insurance products from private insurers.
The federal government helps pay for insurance through an advance premium tax credit if you buy coverage from the exchange. Depending on your income and other circumstances, you may also get help to lower your monthly insurance premium (the amount you pay to enroll in the coverage) and possibly your out-of-pocket expenses.
Dental coverage in Wyoming
In 2023, three insurers offer stand-alone individual/family dental coverage through Wyoming’s Marketplace.1
Wyoming’s Medicaid program
Despite multiple attempts over the past several years, Wyoming remains among only a dozen states where Medicaid expansion has not been enacted.2 Wyoming's Medicaid/CHIP enrollment was 84,650 people as of April 2023.3
Medicare coverage and enrollment in Wyoming
Medicare enrollment in Wyoming stood at 122,946 people as of early 2023.4 Our guide will help you better understand Medicare coverage options and Medicare-specific regulations in Wyoming.
Short-term coverage in Wyoming
In Wyoming, short-term health insurance plans are available and adhere to federal regulations. There are at least seven insurers selling short-term health insurance plans in Wyoming in 2023.5
Frequently asked questions about health insurance in Wyoming
Who can buy Marketplace health insurance?
To qualify for health coverage through the Wyoming Marketplace, you must:6
- Live in Wyoming
- Be lawfully present in the United States
- Not be incarcerated
- Not be enrolled in Medicare
Eligibility for financial assistance in the form of premium subsidies and cost-sharing reductions depends on your income and how it compares with the cost of the second-lowest-cost Silver plan in your area – which depends on your age and location. In addition, to qualify for financial assistance with your Marketplace plan you must:
- Not have access to affordable health coverage through your employer. If your employer offers coverage but you feel it’s too expensive, you can use our Employer Health Plan Affordability Calculator to see if you might qualify for premium subsidies in the Marketplace.
- Not be eligible for Medicaid or CHIP.
When can I enroll in an ACA-compliant plan in Wyoming?
In Wyoming, you can sign up for an ACA-compliant individual or family health plan from November 1 to January 15 during open enrollment.7
If you need your coverage to start on January 1, you must apply by December 15. If you apply between December 16 and January 15, your coverage will begin on February 1.6
Outside of open enrollment, a qualifying event is necessary to enroll or make changes to your coverage. If you have questions about open enrollment, you can learn more in our comprehensive guide to open enrollment. We also have a comprehensive guide to special enrollment periods.
How do I enroll in a Wyoming Marketplace plan?
To enroll in an ACA Marketplace plan in Wyoming, you can:
- Visit HealthCare.gov – Wyoming’s health insurance Marketplace. Here you will find an online platform to compare plans, determine whether you’re eligible for financial assistance, and enroll in the plan that best meets your needs.
- Purchase individual and family health coverage with the help of an insurance agent or broker, a Navigator or certified application counselor, or an approved enhanced direct enrollment entity.8
You can also call HealthCare.gov’s contact center by dialing 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). The call center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but it’s closed on holidays.
How can I find affordable health insurance in Wyoming?
Wyoming residents use the federally run enrollment platform – HealthCare.gov – to shop for individual and family health plans.
As of 2023, about 90% of Wyoming Marketplace enrollees, saved money on their premiums through subsidies. The average subsidy savings was $873/month, providing an average after-subsidy premium of $97/month.9
The Affordable Care Act provides income-based advance premium tax credits (subsidies) that offset your premium payments to help keep your expenses down. People with household incomes below 250%of the federal poverty level also qualify for cost-sharing reductions (CSR) that may reduce your deductibles and out-of-pocket expenses when you buy a Silver plan. Between the premium subsidies and cost-sharing reductions, you may find that an ACA plan is the cheapest health insurance option for you.
How many insurers offer Marketplace coverage in Wyoming?
Are Marketplace health insurance premiums increasing in Wyoming?
Wyoming’s Marketplace insurers have proposed the following rate changes for 2024:10
Wyoming’s ACA Marketplace Plan 2024 Proposed Rate Increases by Insurance Company
|Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wyoming||–7.01%|
|Mountain Health CO-OP/Montana Health CO-OP||7.59%|
When we talk about overall average rate changes, however, we have to keep in mind that they only reflect how full-price premiums change from one year to the next. They don’t account for subsidies or for the fact that a person’s rates will increase each year based on their age, even if their insurer doesn’t change its average premiums at all.
Most enrollees in Wyoming’s exchange receive premium subsidies, which offset the majority of the cost of their coverage.9
How many people are insured through Wyoming’s Marketplace?
In the open enrollment period for 2023 coverage, over 37,000 people enrolled in a health plan through the Wyoming ACA Marketplace.9 This marked the third year in a row the Wyoming Marketplace reached record-high Marketplace enrollment.
The surge in enrollment during these years was due in part to the American Rescue Plan (ARP) which made ACA’s premium subsidies more substantial. Under the ARP – now extended by the Inflation Reduction Act – subsidies are more significant and accessible through the end of 2025.12
What health insurance resources are available to Wyoming residents?
Wyoming Insurance Department
Provides consumer protection and support to Wyoming residents by investigating consumer complaints and resolving issues on insurance matters.
(307) 777-7401 / Toll Free: 1-800-438-5768 / [email protected]
State Exchange Profile: Wyoming
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation overview of Wyoming’s progress toward creating a state health insurance exchange.
Louise Norris is an individual health insurance broker who has been writing about health insurance and health reform since 2006. She has written dozens of opinions and educational pieces about the Affordable Care Act for healthinsurance.org. Her state health exchange updates are regularly cited by media who cover health reform and by other health insurance experts.Footnotes
- “Wyoming dental insurance guide 2023” healthinsurance.org, Accessed September 2023
- “Despite passing committee, Medicaid expansion dies without a reading on House floor” Wyoming Public Radio, Feb. 9, 2023
- “April 2023 Medicaid & CHIP Enrollment Data Highlights” Medicaid.gov, April 28, 2023
- “Medicare Monthly Enrollment” CMS.gov, April 2023.
- “Availability of short-term health insurance in Wyoming” healthinsurance.org, March 24, 2023
- “A quick guide to the Health Insurance Marketplace®” HealthCare.gov, Accessed August, 2023
- “When can you get health insurance?” HealthCare.gov, 2023
- “Entities Approved to Use Enhanced Direct Enrollment” CMS.gov, April 28, 2023
- “2023 Marketplace Open Enrollment Period Public Use Files” CMS.gov, 2023
- ”Wyoming Rate Review Submissions” HealthCare.gov, 2023
- “2023 Qualified Health Plans” CMS.gov, Oct. 26. 2022
- “Health Insurance Marketplaces 2023 Open Enrollment Report” CMS.gov, Accessed August 2023
- “ASPE Issue Brief (2014)” ASPE, 2015
- “Health Insurance Marketplaces 2015 Open Enrollment Period: March Enrollment Report”, HHS.gov, 2015
- “HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACES 2016 OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIOD: FINAL ENROLLMENT REPORT” HHS.gov, 2016
- “2017 Marketplace Open Enrollment Period Public Use Files” CMS.gov, 2017
- “2018 Marketplace Open Enrollment Period Public Use Files” CMS.gov, 2018
- “2019 Marketplace Open Enrollment Period Public Use Files” CMS.gov, 2019
- “2020 Marketplace Open Enrollment Period Public Use Files” CMS.gov, 2020
- “2021 Marketplace Open Enrollment Period Public Use Files” CMS.gov, 2021
- “2022 Marketplace Open Enrollment Period Public Use Files” CMS.gov, 2022