Table of Contents:
Effective Date: February 1, 2021
1. Information We Collect
Personally Identifiable Information
Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”) is any information that can be used to identify or locate a particular person or entity. This may include, but is not limited to: your first and last name, contact information such as a phone number or an email address, and information about your needs.
We collect your PII only when you voluntarily and directly provide it. We may ask you to provide contact information when you comment on an article or other content on our website.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
When you visit this Site, we may collect certain information about you, such as the type of browser you are using (e.g., Safari, Chrome), the type of operating system you are using, (e.g., Windows OS or Mac OS), and your IP address and the domain name of your Internet service provider (e.g., Xfinity, Verizon). By itself, this information (“non-personally identifiable information”) cannot be used to identify you individually. Much of this information is collected through cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, and other tracking technologies. We use the non-personally identifiable information that we collect to improve the design and content of the Site and to enable us to personalize your Internet experience. We also may use this information in the aggregate to analyze Site usage.
About tracking technologies:
- Cookies. A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user’s device, which may be a session ID cookie or tracking cookie. Session ID cookies make it easier for you to navigate the Service and expire when you close your browser. Tracking cookies help in understanding how you use the Service, and remain after you close your browser. The Service may associate some or all of these types of cookies with your devices. Cookies may remain on your device for extended periods of time.
- Web Beacons (“Tracking Pixels”). Web beacons are small graphic images, also known as “web bugs”, “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”, are small graphical images that may be used on the Site, or in our emails to deliver cookies, count content views and determine if an email has been opened and acted upon.
- Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is a programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Site, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your computer or other device and is deactivated or deleted when you disconnect from the Site.
- Location-Identifying Technologies. GPS (global positioning systems) software, geo-filtering, and other location-aware technologies locate you (sometimes with precision) for purposes such as verifying your location and delivering or restricting relevant content based on your location.
For more information about cookies (and other kinds of online tracking), please visit www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0042-online-tracking. Some browsers have incorporated Do Not Track (“DNT”) preferences. As there is not yet an industry-standard DNT protocol on how to interpret DNT signals, we do not honor DNT signals from browsers at this time. However, you may refuse or delete cookies to prevent tracking activities, as described above.
Social Media and User-Generated Content
When you interact with the Site or any of our other online properties through a social media platform, we may collect and store any PII and non-personally identifiable information that the third-party social media entity passes us. The applicable third-party application provider’s privacy controls how they use your information.
When you post content, including social media content, on this Site, we may collect any information that you make available to us in your content, including any account username or other information included in your posts.
2. How We Use Your Information
- Manage our Service, including your subscription to newsletters or other programs we may provide and for which you have selected;
- Offer you information about our services or other information you have requested, or to respond to your questions, emails and other requests, and to provide customer service;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, information regarding changes to our policies, and support and administrative messages;
- Prevent and address fraud, breach of policies or terms, and threats of harm;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities;
- Conduct research, including surveys, focus groups, or other insight gathering methods;
- Improve the Service or other affiliate websites, applications, marketing efforts, products, and services;
- Send you advertisements and communicate with you regarding our third-party products and services;
- Fulfill any other purpose disclosed at the time you provide Personal Information.
3. Sharing Information
As a general rule we will not sell or rent your personal information collected on the Site with others. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we may sell and share information we have collected about you, including personal information, with our partners for purposes of offering you information you have requested about our services or other matters. Our policy is to permit these third-party service providers to obtain only the information they need to provide the services and to prohibit these providers from using information for any improper purpose. We also make efforts to require them to protect any personal information to the same extent that we do.
Our affiliate companies and vendors may receive, or be given access to your information, including Personal Information and Usage Information (described below), as needed for their work with us or on our behalf. Except as otherwise set forth in this section, these third parties are prohibited from using your information, including Personal Information, for any purpose other than to provide this assistance. We may permit third parties to use aggregate information which does not identify you, or de-identified data, for any valid purpose.
We also may share your information under the following circumstances:
- To comply with the law or with other legal processes and, where required, to respond to lawful requests by law enforcement or by other public authorities, or to respond to a subpoena, to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, to protect the integrity of the Service or company if we believe that a user has committed unlawful or otherwise harmful acts, or to protect our interests relating to a legal proceeding;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any proposed or actual merger, purchase, sale, consolidation with, or any other type of acquisition or business combination of all or any portion of the Service or our assets, or transfer of all or a portion of our business to an affiliated entity or third party;
- With our affiliates, business partners, and other third parties for their own business purposes, including audience profiling and direct marketing purposes; and
- For purposes disclosed at the time you provide Personal Information, and with your consent or discretion.
We also make efforts to require any party with whom we share information to protect Personal Information to the same extent that we do.
4. Your Rights and Choices
With respect to requesting access, opting out, or to be forgotten, please be advised:
- There may be a delay while your request is being verified, deployed and processed across our servers.
- Notwithstanding your opt-out request, we may contact you for the purpose of responding to any inquiry or request made by you.
- Please note that we will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Accessing Your Information
You have the right to access and update certain information that you have voluntarily submitted to us through the Service by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may require additional information from you to allow us to confirm your identity.
Deleting Your Information
If you would like us to delete or update the personal information that we have collected from you, please send your request via email to email@example.com.
You can opt-out of receiving emails containing general information from us at any time, by following the instructions to click on the unsubscribe link, as provided in emails, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You also have a right to request not to receive telemarketing calls from us by asking us to place your telephone number on our internal Do Not Call List (“DNC List”). Our written Do Not Call Policy for maintaining our DNC List is available upon demand.
5. Third Party Services
The Site contains content from and hyperlinks to websites, locations, platforms, and services operated and owned by third parties. Our website also contains tracking technologies operated by third parties. For example, analytics services such as Google Analytics, may use tracking technologies on our Site that compile statistics about activity on the Site.
The inclusion of a link on our services does not imply an endorsement of the linked sites or services by us or our affiliates.
6. International Users
We avoid knowingly collecting personally identifiable information about EU residents or citizens other European Economic Area countries. Our properties, including this Site, are intended for users in the United States.
The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country.
7. Data Retention
Subject to any mandatory obligations to delete data, your information may be retained by us and in our agent portal, server logs, databases and records indefinitely.
8. Data Security
The security of your personal information is important to us. We take appropriate security measures (including physical, electronic, and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. With regard to internal operations of any Site or property owned by us, only authorized employees and authorized third party service providers are permitted to access personal information, and they may do so only for permitted business functions. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
9. Minors’ Privacy
We encourage parents and guardians to spend time online with their children and to participate and monitor the interactive activities of their children. We will never knowingly collect any personal information about individuals under eighteen (18) years of age. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected personal information about an individual under eighteen (18) years of age, that information will be immediately deleted from our database. If you are a parent or guardian and you believe that your child under age eighteen may have provided personally identifiable information through our Site, please contact us at email@example.com.
10. Notification of Changes
11. Contact Us