Maggie Mahar is an author and financial journalist who has written extensively about the American health care system. Her book, Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Health Care Costs So Much, was the inspiration for the documentary, Money Driven Medicine (which Mahar also co-wrote).
She is a prolific blogger, writing at HealthBeat Blog since 2007 and later, at healthinsurance.org.
Before she began writing about health care and health policy, Mahar was a financial journalist, writing for Barron’s, Time Inc., and The New York Times among others.
Mahar’s first book, Bull: A History of the Boom and Bust 1982-2003, was recommended by Warren Buffet in Berkshire Hathaway’s annual report. For more on her books, click here.
In an earlier career, Mahar was an English professor at Yale University where she taught 19th and 20th century literature.
Recent tweets @maggiemahar
Villina- Thank you. Agree: we all must support the Dem Candidate Re: Who I prefer Biden seems to me the safest… https://t.co/nO1iC6d5aT
RT @SaysHummingbird: This needs to go viral 🔥 Someone please explain why Ivanka Trump, a Senior White House Official, gets 16 trademark ap…
Posts by Maggie Mahar
- Anatomy of an Obamacare ‘horror story’
- Obamacare’s ‘victims’
- What isn’t catastrophic for Obamacare
- 62 other reasons to say ‘ahhhh’
- An end to unaffordable out-of-pocket costs
- Like your junk policy? You can keep it.
- Millions qualify for ‘free health insurance’
- Is the Media eager to declare ‘disaster?’
- Is Obamacare a ‘bonanza’ for carriers?
- Obamacare and the bad-news bearers
- Excuse me. Could we lower our premiums?
- Will ‘the bros’ buy health insurance in 2014?
- Obamacare ‘Medicaid for the middle class?’
- Obamacare’s employer mandate delayed:
- Medicare fraud and for-profit hospitals
- Who will sell health insurance in the exchanges? Non-profit insurers.
- The 37th vote to repeal health reform: Why?
- Spreading confusion about SHOP exchanges
- Who is Douglas Holtz-Eakin and why is he saying terrible things about health reform?
- Why is it that the truth never goes viral?
- IRS ruling a ‘disaster for Obamacare?’ Nope.
- Health Wonk Review for January 31, 2013
- Is pain-free Medicare reform possible?
- Predicting the future of insurance premiums
- Will insurance premiums skyrocket in 2014?
- Obamacare’s health insurance subsidies:
- Obama wins Round One of budget standoff
- Can businesses really NOT afford ACA?
- Why there is no “Next Big Idea” for reform
- Future of reform may turn on Senate races
- Fears of crowded doctors’ offices wrong
- Could Romney repeal Obamacare? No.
- The next step for ‘Obamacare’
- Foes use scare tactics on health care penalty
- Kennedy’s 1980 message perfect in 2012
- A GOP victory and women’s health?
- Why your state should expand Medicaid
- States will gain by expanding Medicaid
- Could missing word kill the ACA? No.
- The Supreme Court’s decision buys time
- Self-fulfilling media narratives
- Today, the Supremes sang.
- The Supremes and pre-existing conditions
- The facts behind breastfeeding controversy
- If individual mandate’s struck, what next?
- Health Wonk Review for June 7, 2012
- Can states refuse to build exchanges?
- Despite reform, age rating still hits seniors
- Does your state protect Baby Boomers?
- Health reform: a huge victory for women
- Ryan plan: crushing blow to Medicare
- Why is SCOTUS hearing an ACA challenge?
- Will SCOTUS strike down health reform?