Louise Norris has been writing about health insurance and health care reform since 2006 and has as written dozens of opinions and educational pieces about the Affordable Care Act for healthinsurance.org. She’s also the author of The Insider’s Guide to Obamacare Special Enrollment and The Insider’s Guide to Obamacare’s Open Enrollment, which offers tips designed to help consumers select the right ACA-compliant coverage and spend less time doing it.
Her state health exchange updates are regularly cited by media who cover health reform and by other health insurance experts. And her state-by-state analysis of regulations pertaining to short-term health plans helps to add clarity to the national discussion about those plans.
In 2017, Louise was invited to participate in a public radio panel of healthcare thought leaders at WNYC to help reporters and producers understand how to best cover and understand the Affordable Care Act by looking what’s happening at the state level.
And in 2018, she was a panelist for a Brookings Institute event that focused on the state of the individual insurance markets across the country, and the impact of various state and federal actions on those markets.
She brings a broker’s perspective to the healthcare reform discussion, as she and her husband started their health insurance agency, Insurance Shoppers, Inc., in 2003 and have spent the last 15 years helping clients in Colorado find individual and small group health insurance policies that meet their needs and budget.
“I appreciate the timely, factual information and insightful analysis Louise provides about state health insurance markets. She is a go-to source for many in the health policy arena.”
–Karen Pollitz, Senior Fellow, Health Reform and Private Insurance, Kaiser Family Foundation
“Louise Norris’ thorough and insightful analysis of state insurance markets is essential to anyone trying to understand how the Affordable Care Act is working out at the micro level.”
–Tim Jost, Emeritus Professor, Washington and Lee University School of Law
Recent tweets @LouiseNorris
RT @onceuponA: What we're talking about when we talk about whether people think M4A will "raise their taxes" is 1) how many people with ESI…
RT @EyeOnInsurance: Six states are extending their annual marketplace open enrollment for 2020 coverage + Tennessee is the first in line to…
@LilaHickey Great picture! Were you on your bike?
Posts by Louise Norris
- The Scoop: September 18, 2019 Edition
- The Scoop: September 13, 2019 Edition
- The Scoop: September 6, 2019 Edition
- The Scoop: August 30, 2019 Edition
- The Scoop: August 23, 2019 Edition
- The Scoop: August 16, 2019 Edition
- The Scoop: August 9, 2019 Edition
- The Scoop: August 2, 2019 Edition
- 12 ways the GOP sabotaged Obamacare
- The problem with association health plans
- Four ways states are foiling Obamacare sabotage
- ‘Bare counties’ just got covered. Here’s why.
- Can the GOP avoid a health premium train wreck?
- Would your plan cover John McCain’s treatment?
- What ACA repeal could do to small-group coverage
- The ACA isn’t imploding. Is your marketplace?
- Obamacare remains the law of the land. With defeat, Trump fails his first legislative test.
- GOP House votes to repeal ACA. 14 million could lose health insurance next year.
- The poor get poorer under GOP’s tax credit scheme
- Trump ‘shooting from the hip’ to stabilize markets
- 50 ways to lose your coverage
- 3 GOP repeal comments that are eyeroll-worthy
- High-risk pools were a last resort for a reason
- Stay calm and resist repeal.
- The health savings accounts Tom Price loves
- The ‘Trump effect’ on your Obamacare coverage
- Escaping the crush of premium increases
- Who’s bearing the brunt of rate increases?
- Southerners – and women – enjoy bigger subsidies
- State elections can make or break health reform
- Your carrier’s leaving the exchange. What now?
- Will ‘Simple Choice’ plans live up to their name?
- Moonshot only the latest of Obama cancer missions
- The inevitable expansion of the Medicaid expansion
- Obamacare: a game changer for MS patients
- Why 13 states have highest health insurance rates
- Why 13 states have lower health insurance rates
- Obamacare’s subsidies upheld. What now?
- Four stories more deserving than Luis Lang’s?
- Santa, please fix the ‘family glitch’
- Hanukkah Harry, enrollment transparency, please
- Santa, we need CSR subsidies for Bronze plans
- Santa, please deliver single-payer healthcare
- Medicaid expansion for every state’s stocking?
- Santa, help keep the ‘affordable’ in ACA
- Santa, please deliver relief from high deductibles
- Could Copper be ACA’s new precious metal?
- Why exchange website users aren’t ‘bailing’
- ACA critics play the ‘rating game’ but it isn’t working
- Why your ACA health plan wasn’t cancelled
- ‘Health insurance’ that is too good to be true
- Fixing Obamacare’s broken window
- Exchanges: too big to succeed?
- Flushing away $10,000 to ‘just say No’
- ‘I don’t need health insurance!’
- Cruel irony: millions too poor for Medicaid
- Colorado: ‘battening down the hatches’
- ACA’s surprisingly successful exchanges
- A health disaster waiting to happen
- Help paying for insurance? Not interested.
- Just how bad are junk health policies?
- Don’t expect ‘spiraling premiums’ in 2015
- ACA marketplaces: The tide has turned
- Dreading higher premiums?
- Red state pain won’t be limited to poor
- Seeing red over ACA obstruction
- Finally: an escape from lifetime maximums
- The state of the state marketplaces
- ‘We’re all in this together.’
- ACA benefits far outweigh tax-time burdens
- A fuss over subsidies for Congressional staff