Who should help me enroll in a health plan?

Need someone to help you wade through health coverage options? Here's how to choose between Navigators, counselors and agents.

How navigators, CAC counselors and agents differ:

During the ACA implementation process, state and federal governments invested millions of dollars in online exchanges to facilitate enrollment in subsidy-eligible, ACA-compliant health plans. And over the last few years, the exchanges have been refined and upgraded to make them as user-friendly as possible.

But even with a perfectly designed, glitch-free enrollment system, many people will still want or need personal assistance with the application process and with ongoing insurance utilization questions. To fill this need, there are a variety of assisters nationwide who are trained to guide people through the process of researching and enrolling in health plans, and some can provide ongoing support after the plan is purchased.

It may be clear to you that you need help choosing a plan. What isn’t clear to many potential enrollees is how the various options for assistance – Navigators, certified application counselors, brokers, agents and enrollment consultants – differ.

Here’s what you need to know before you set up an appointment.

Navigators offer impartial education about exchanges, but their funding has been slashed

The Navigator role was created for the purpose of providing impartial education and outreach about the exchanges and exchange health plans, helping applicants determine whether they qualify for subsidies or Medicaid, and assisting them in the enrollment process. Navigators are not permitted to recommend one plan over another or direct consumers towards a particular policy.

Navigators are paid by state and federal grant programs, and they cannot be compensated by the insurance companies. But the Trump Administration has drastically cut funding for Navigators over the last two years.

In September 2016, under the Obama Administration, HHS announced $63 million in Navigator grants for 98 organizations working in 34 states with federally run or partnership exchanges. The grants are used to pay Navigators and maintain the Navigator programs at these organizations. (States that are running their own exchanges also have exchange-funded Navigator programs.)

But the Navigator funding that was provided in September 2017 was sharply reduced — about 40 percent lower than it had been the year before — and the lower funding, totaling about $36 million, was announced at the last minute, catching Navigator organizations off-guard.

And in July 2018, the Trump Administration announced yet another sharp funding cut, with just $10 million in total Navigator funding for the upcoming open enrollment period. That’s down from $63 million two years earlier. Some states are particularly hard-hit, although it varies considerably from state to state: Louisiana and Indiana will actually get a slight increase in their Navigator funding, although it’s still well below what they received in the 2016 grants. But in Florida, Navigator funding dropped by 81 percent, from $6.6 million to $1.25 million — and they started with $9.5 million in the 2016 funding cycle.

So although there will continue to be Navigators in every state, there won’t be as many as there used to be, and their services won’t be as readily available in states that use HealthCare.gov (states that run their own exchanges fund their own Navigators — or a similar position with a different name — and their funding isn’t affected by the Trump Administration’s decision to cut Navigator funding).

The Trump Administration has defended the funding cuts by noting that Navigators don’t enroll as many people as brokers, but it has to be noted that Navigators often work with people who enroll in Medicaid or CHIP, which means they don’t get credit for the enrollment, since it’s not a private plan. But their work is essential in terms of providing assistance to people who would otherwise find it quite challenging to navigate the enrollment process.

In early 2016, HHS laid out enhanced requirements for Navigators – most of which took effect for 2018 – including targeted assistance for underserved and uninsured populations, as well as post-enrollment assistance (on issues such as eligibility appeals and health insurance utilization).

So although their funding has been reduced, Navigators are able to provide more assistance than they have in the past. But the shorter open enrollment window that took effect in the fall of 2017 (and which will continue to be used for 2019 coverage), the reduced budget for Navigator organizations, and the reduction in the number of other enrollment assisters could mean that Navigator assistance is spread fairly thin in many areas. In announcing the latest funding cut, the Trump Administration noted that “It is appropriate to scale down the Navigator program to reflect the enhanced public awareness of health coverage through the Exchanges.”

But according to Kaiser Family Foundation research, there is still a considerable lack of awareness about how open enrollment works among people who are uninsured and those who buy their own health insurance. In other words, assistance with the enrollment process is still greatly needed. The individual market has always been volatile — it doesn’t tend to be the same people from one year to the next, as people cycle in and out of the market depending on their access to employer-sponsored plans. So each year, a new group of people have to learn the ropes when it comes to individual market enrollment.

CACs have a more limited focus on enrollment

Certified application counselors (CACs) can also provide assistance with the enrollment process. They are similar to Navigators, but they are not required to perform outreach activities, and are not required to perform post-enrollment assistance (although they can do so if properly trained). Their role is more limited and their focus tends to be strictly on helping people enroll.

The exchange designates local “CAC organizations” (health centers, faith-based organizations, colleges, etc.) and people who are affiliated with or employed by those organizations are eligible to serve as CACs. Navigators are funded through the exchange, but certified application counselors are not. Funding for the CAC program can come from a variety of state and federal sources though, including existing public health appropriations. And CACs themselves are often volunteering their time to help people enroll in health coverage.

Since CACs aren’t funded by the exchange, some states (Vermont is an example) have worked to boost outreach to organizations that would be well served by having a CAC on staff. CACs generally serve a more focused clientele (people who would be using the organization where the CAC is employed, such as a clinic or hospital), but relying on CACs can help a state expand the total number of people available to help with the enrollment process, without having to spend as much on the Navigator program.

During the open enrollment period for 2018 coverage, after the Trump Administration’s first round of Navigator cuts, many Navigator organizations partnered with volunteer CACs who could help to handle the enrollment volume. But it’s noteworthy that even when the Navigator organization was supporting and coordinating the CACs, the Navigators couldn’t get credit for the enrollments that were facilitated by the CACs. The Trump Administration cited low Navigator-facilitated enrollment volume as a reason for the further funding cuts in 2018, but Navigators would have had higher enrollment numbers if all of the enrollments conducted under their watch — including those facilitated by CACs, along with enrollments in Medicaid and CHIP — had been counted.

Brokers and agents can make plan recommendations

Insurance brokers and agents who are certified by the exchanges can also explain plan details and help consumers determine subsidy or Medicaid eligibility, but – and this is a key difference — they can also make plan recommendations based on a client’s particular situation.

Agents and brokers continue to assist their clients after the plan is purchased, helping them sort out questions and problems regarding billing, utilization, claims, and appeals. Brokers and agents also generally carry errors and omissions insurance, and are licensed by the state department of insurance.

For health insurance purposes, independent agents and brokers are virtually the same thing, although brokers may represent more carriers or offer different types of insurance products.

Brokers who are certified by the exchange are able to show clients plans both on- and off-exchange, and can explain the pros and cons of each. But the number of brokers who choose to work with the exchanges has declined over the last few years, generally as a result of reduced or eliminated broker commissions for individual market enrollments (this trend appears to be reversing in some areas heading into 2019; as more insurers start to become profitable in the individual market, they’re beginning to reinstate broker commissions that had previously been eliminated, or boost commissions that had been reduced when the insurers were facing a non-profitable individual market segment).

The number of brokers working with the exchanges dropped by almost 25 percent in 2018, but the total number of broker-facilitated enrollments dropped only slightly. This indicates that the high-volume brokers are continuing to work with the exchanges and/or individual market coverage, while lower-volume brokers are opting out. So it’s likely that you’ll be able to find a broker in your state who will assist you, but it might not be the local mom-and-pop brokerage in your town.

Agents with online portals also certified to help

It’s worth noting that many online portals — originally designed to provide a quick health insurance quote — are now devoting more resources to phone support, with agents licensed in each state to help customers through the enrollment process. (You can call one of our partners at 1-844-608-2739 to talk with a licensed, exchange-certified broker who can enroll you in an ACA-compliant plan.)

CMS has published a list of frequently asked questions pertaining to agents and brokers who assist enrollees with the federally facilitated exchange.

If they’re certified, they’re trained to help enroll.

Brokers are licensed and regulated by their state insurance commissioner, and must comply with state requirements for continuing education that pre-date the ACA. To be able to assist consumers enrolling through the exchange, brokers must also complete the required training and be certified by the exchange.

Navigators are regulated by the exchanges, although states can impose additional training and certification requirements. For 2019 enrollment (which runs from November 1, 2018 to December 15, 2018 in all states that use HealthCare.gov), Navigators in the federally-facilitated marketplace have to complete four online Navigator Curriculum courses (and pass the associated assessments with a least an 80 percent score), and have the option to complete seven additional courses.

Certified application counselors are also regulated by the exchanges. In federally facilitated exchanges, CACs are required to complete four online CAC Curriculum courses and pass the associated assessments with at least an 80 percent score. The rest of the courses are optional-but recommended-for CACs. In states that run their own exchanges, certification requirements are up to the state and the exchange

Brokers and agents are required to maintain their licenses with the states where they sell coverage, and to be certified with the exchange (HealthCare.gov or a state-run exchange, depending on the state) if they wish to help clients enroll in exchange plans. Brokers and agents are required to completed continuing education courses in order to remain licensed and in order to maintain their certification with the exchange. In most states, brokers are also required to have errors and omissions insurance.

Attitudes about the Affordable Care Act may vary

Navigators and certified application counselors tend to be supportive of healthcare reform and the ACA, although many of them are relatively new to the health insurance industry, since both positions only became available in 2013.

The organizations that employ Navigators and certified enrollment counselors are often grant-funded advocacy groups, healthcare centers, universities, and public health agencies, and in many cases they’re providing invaluable in-person assistance in communities with very high uninsured rates and significant enrollment obstacles.

Brokers pre-date the ACA, and have been helping consumers obtain health insurance for decades. Some brokers have been vocal in their opposition to the ACA, and some have opted to leave the individual health insurance industry. And certainly, not all of those who remain have chosen to get certified with the exchanges. But the ones who have gotten certified are committed to reform and see it as an opportunity to help their clients rather than a hindrance.

Regardless of who helps, help should be free

So what’s the price of this advice? Your consultations are actually free (with very limited exceptions for brokers in some states*).

Navigators are hourly employees, paid by state and federal exchange grant programs, and they cannot be compensated by the insurance companies.

CACs are not paid by insurance companies either. They can be hourly employees or volunteers, with a variety of public funding from outside the exchange. Many are employees of organizations such as hospitals or clinics that want to have a trained staff member who can help uninsured patients enroll in coverage.

Brokers are generally paid on commission by the insurance carriers, although some exchanges have salaried or hourly brokers as part of their staff.

But while there is a difference in how brokers and Navigators are compensated, there are never any consultation fees*, and there’s no difference in the health insurance premiums you’ll pay, regardless of whether you work with a Navigator or enrollment counselor, broker or agent – or even if you apply entirely without assistance.

* It’s possible that brokers in some areas might eventually start to charge fees as insurers reduce or eliminate commissions, but this requires regulatory changes at the state level. Louisiana implemented a law in 2017 that allows brokers to charge a fee if they want to do so, but it has to be clearly disclosed to the client. Colorado passed similar legislation in 2018, allowing brokers to charge a fee if the insurance company isn’t paying a commission (some Colorado insurers pay commissions, and some don’t). It’s unclear whether many brokers will want to incorporate this into their business model.

Your help may depend on choices you’ve made already

Regardless of whether you work with a Navigator, CAC, or an exchange-certified broker, you’ll be getting skilled help with the enrollment process. This is preferable to doing it alone, especially since your premium will be the same regardless of whether you enroll on your own or with assistance.

If you feel like you need help in choosing a plan, a broker is likely your best bet. But if you already know what you want in terms of coverage and you just need help with the application process, a Navigator or CAC might be the perfect fit.

Louise Norris is an individual health insurance broker who has been writing about health insurance and health reform since 2006. She has written dozens of opinions and educational pieces about the Affordable Care Act for healthinsurance.org. Her state health exchange updates are regularly cited by media who cover health reform and by other health insurance experts.

You Are Reading

Insider’s Guide to Obamacare’s Open Enrollment cover illustration

Insider’s Guide to Obamacare’s Open Enrollment

Table of Contents

What’s in our 2019 Guide to Open Enrollment?
1 What’s the deadline to get coverage during Obamacare’s open enrollment period?
2 How can I choose the best health plan for me?
3 Can I preview premiums before open enrollment?
4 Should I let my 2018 coverage auto-renew?
5 Should you look outside the ACA’s exchanges?
6 What’s happening with the Obamacare penalty?
7 How long will it take me to enroll?
8 Who should help me enroll in a health plan?
9 Should I keep my grandmothered health plan?
10 What happens if I don’t buy coverage during the ACA’s open enrollment period?

Find affordable health plans

Since 2008, we’ve helped more than 16 million people.

(Step 1 of 2)